If you’re a novice baker, start with muffins!
Me, I am a self-confessed non-cook if there was ever one! So several years ago I took up baking, and luckily got reasonably good at it. If you haven’t baked, here are some good reasons to do that, followed by some good reasons as to why muffins are a great place to start!It is easy-peasy, if I can do it, so can you!
- It is relatively easy, and best if you have an OTG dedicated for the purpose. I invested in a big sized one right at the beginning, and have gotten every penny’s worth of it
- It is a great activity to do with kids. Older one ‘A’ has even decided she wants to be a baker, she is quite good at sifting, mixing, measuring and of course, batter-licking.
- You can gain some popularity in the community – my friends and unsuspecting neighbours have been frequent recipients of my baked goods -sometimes whether they want it or not 😉
- The variety – just like cooking, baking also offers an endless variety of textures, flavours, recipes to try. From the simple no-fuss to the most elaborately iced goodies, you can never be bored. Not to mention the tonnes of online resources available. I’ll dedicate a post to my most frequent blogs/recipes another day.
Now onto the muffins
- If you are starting out, start with muffins. The whole thing is done and over with in about 30-40 minutes.
- You can make healthier versions of muffins that taste good too -like bran and banana. In fact, 3 over ripe bananas lying in my fruit basket are the reason for these lovelies last night.
- They are a quick snack, easy to handle/distribute and really not messy at all. Can be whipped up in a jiffy and finished before you know it. I’ve had almost a 100% success rate with muffins
- The only golden rule of muffins is to not overmix the batter, it makes the muffins rock hard.
- For those who like slightly more moist muffins, milk/buttermilk or even juice sometimes can be added in small quantities to make your muffins moist.
The recipe of this particular banana-walnut muffin is from the website https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/banana-muffins/
I will take no credit for any recipes – I always browse and select a recipe off the web, sometimes adapting or substituting ingredients if needed.
Do let me know, if you’ve tried it and share your favourite baking recipes too if you are upto it! Happy eating…